Products For Your Home.
Two attached cushions for a variety of carpets…
There’s a cushion for the carpet you need, and chances are it’s attached already. So the tough business of carpet selection is that much easier! We offer two different patented, attached cushion products of premium polyurethane. One of them is sure to be right there on the back of a carpet style that suits your needs, just look for it by name:
KangaBack – The “original” patented attached cushion has a 25+ year track record. Its soft, luxurious comfort has proven to be exceptionally consistent and reliable for residential applications.
KangaHyde – Developed for firm cushion support in active homes, apartments and light commercial areas. Its special patented formula of high-density polyurethane can be used with practically any style carpet.
Some Facts About Polyurethane
Kanga is made of 100% premium polyurethane with no fillers, which, unlike latex foam or black rubber, offers unsurpassed quality for carpet cushion:
- Won’t crack, peel, or crumble
- Won’t deteriorate or go flat with use; stays resilient
- Won’t “bottom out” under heavy furniture or foot traffic
- Chemically stable, non-toxic, and environmentally safe
- Not affected by standard household cleaning products
- Impervious to moisture
- Energy efficient
ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY POLYURETHANE COMMERCIAL CARPET BACKINGS
Premium attached carpet cushions
Products for Business
Our LEED®certifiable complete carpet backing systems contain up to 30% of post consumer materials. EPIC System and KangaTRAC are good for the environment, good for your carpet and great for your feet.
Select a product and click to learn more.
KangaTRAC -High-performance commercial carpets require high-performance attached polyurethane cushions.
EPIC System TR/18®Commercial Carpet Backing -The ultimate high-performance attached cushion backing system for extra heavy commercial traffic areas.
ReCover – 100% PCR Nonwoven Backing that is durable, dimensionally stable, and works to hold your carpet in place even under the heaviest foot traffic.
SoftGlass – Polyurethane Cushion For Carpet that is resilient, soft and provides the perfect support to your carpet. Its manufacturing technique allows for precise gauge control
For guidelines on how to install these products, click here.
100% PCR Nonwoven Backing
ReCover is durable, dimensionally stable, and works to hold your carpet in place even under the heaviest foot traffic. It works well with most carpet adhesives and won’t scratch floors or walls. EPIC System uses our ReCover backing system.
100% Non-woven Polyester Covering
100% Recycled Post Consumer
Material (Plastic Bottles)
4.5 oz. / yd.2
(14% of the 32 oz. system)
- Environmentally Friendly
- Provides Soft Supple Hand
- Dimensionally Stable
- Works well with Flooring Adhesives
- Will Not Scratch Walls, etc.
Polyurethane Cushion For Carpet
SoftGlass is resilient, soft and provides the perfect support to your carpet. Its manufacturing technique allows for precise gauge control. KangaTRAC and EPIC System uses our SoftGlass cushion.
18lb. Density Polyurethane Cushion
Polyurethane Foam with 100% Recycled
Post-Consumer Glass Filler
5.0 oz. / yd.2
(18% of the 28 oz. cushion)
- Environmentally Friendly
- Stretchable (for pattern matching)
- Consistent Gauge Thickness
High-performance commercial carpets require high-performance attached polyurethane cushions. With exceptional comfort, superior dimensional stability, improved wearability, longer life cycle and unsurpassed ease-of-installation, both EPIC System and KangaTRAC products are the BEST choice for high-performance commercial carpets.
A dense polyurethane commercial grade cushion applied to the back of carpet during the manufacturing process, KangaTRAC is specially engineered to support the demands faced by commercial carpets. Backed by over a decade of research and testing, and proven in countless installations, KangaTRAC offers the support your commercial carpet needs for solid performance.
Carpet backings are the key to commercial carpeting consistently holding up to the demands of extra heavy foot and roller traffic. Both EPIC and KangaTRAC’s patented advanced manufacturing processes provide chemical and mechanical bonding of the cushion system to the carpet. Tuft bind is strengthened and edge ravel is minimized. The result? A carpet that looks, wears and lasts longer than most direct glue-down carpet installations.
Unlike unitary backings in direct glue-down installations, EPIC and KangaTRAC provide incredible comfort underfoot. Attached premium polyurethane cushioning ensures resiliency, even in areas of heavy foot and roller traffic. The advanced polyurethane technology in both product options keeps carpeting from “bottoming out,” providing years of superior support. It’s like having shock absorbers for your carpet.
DELAMINATION & WRINKLES
The rigors of daily wear often cause commercial carpet backings to delaminate or peel away from the primary backing. EPIC and KangaTRAC counteract or protect against this condition by chemically and mechanically bonding with carpet fibers during the manufacturing process to offer superior dimensional stability as well as improving delamination resistance. Both product options help support installation integrity in seam, edge ravel and delamination performance.
EPIC and KangaTRAC’s unique polyurethane construction also minimizes wrinkles by absorbing impact shock, supporting surface fibers, and stabilizing the carpet composite.
The repeated pounding of constant traffic leaves its mark on the face fibers of commercial carpets. EPIC and KangaTRAC’s dense polyurethane cushioning provides the proper support to absorb traffic impacts. This excellent performance characteristic helps carpet retain its appearance and texture longer, minimizing early signs of wear and premature replacement even in the most demanding environments.
Providing added strength and stability, the EPIC and KangaTRAC backing systems help prevent the bowing, skewing, and rippling that can occur during installation of commercial carpeting. And since carpets backed with EPIC or KangaTRAC are glued directly to the floor, most installation problems are avoided.
Spills can cause major damage if allowed to soak deep within a commercial carpet surface. Completely synthetic composites, EPIC and KangaTRAC systems resist moisture penetration, which helps to prevent odor-causing mold and mildew from developing. Not only can surface spills be cleaned up fast, but harsh wet or dry cleaning procedures do not drastically affect carpet appearance and performance.
Direct glue-down installations are easy with EPIC and KangaTRAC backing systems. By using premium quality multi-purpose adhesives and following manufacturer’s specifications, successful installations become easier and faster using one of these attached cushion and carpet composites. Seams can be precisely cut and edge ravel minimized.
EPIC or KangaTRAC attached cushion systems are easier and cleaner to remove than other flooring products. KangaTRAC’s unique outer layer or “skin” – designed specifically for releasable flooring applications – shields the cushion from adhesive saturation. And if a releasable adhesive is used, removal is even faster.
THE SMART BUSINESS DECISION
Using a carpet with an attached polyurethane cushion like EPIC and KangaTRAC is one of the BEST decisions that a business or customer can make. A Life Cycle Costing Analysis shows that carpets with an attached cushion will last up to 50% longer than conventional direct glue-down installations. Now, that’s a SMART BUSINESS DECISION!!!
EPIC and KangaTRAC’s unique patented polyurethane construction absorbs impact shock, supports surface fibers and stabilizes the carpet composite.
KangaTRAC is an attached high modulus backing system made with premium polyurethanes. It can be applied over a pH adjusted unitary latex or polyurethane unitary precoat as well as an Actionbac® secondary. It is compatible with carpets in 6’, 12’ and 13’6” widths.
Typical properties are derived from averages under standard manufacturing tolerances and are affected by carpet fiber, weight, construction, humidity and temperature. These properties may vary within normal industry tolerances. Performance is not affected by such variances.
24 lb. Density Elongation 60% minimum Tensile 50 lbs./sq. in. Compression Resistance (25% deflection) 10 lbs./sq. in. Average delamination strength lbs./in. of width 5.0 Radiant panel Watts/cm2 .74* Smoke density DM:
Polyurethane foam weight 24 ozs./sq. yd. 30 lb. Density Elongation 60% minimum Tensile 60 lbs./sq. in. Compression Resistance (25% deflection) 12 lbs./sq. in. Average delamination strength lbs./in. of width 5.0 Radiant panel Watts/cm2 .74* Smoke density DM
Polyurethane foam weight 30 ozs./sq. yd.
*As tested on 1/8 gauge, 32 oz. nylon level loop construction. Results will vary with carpet construction.
EPIC System TR/18®Commercial Carpet Backing
When Performance Is Critical, Get The Backing With More Face Value.
In specifying carpet for extra heavy commercial traffic areas, the backing that can make a critical difference in the carpet’s ability to perform. The ultimate high-performance attached cushion backing system is System TR/18.
System TR/18 is an 18 lb. density attached polyurethane cushion composite that is applied to the back of commercial carpets at the manufacturing level. Specifically engineered for use in public spaces that receive heavy foot and roller traffic, System TR/18 is designed for hospitals, airports, banks, hotels and casinos. It can be applied to all styles and constructions, including multi-level tufted graphics, wovens and Axminsters.
Its mechanically-frothed polyurethane formulation supports the face yarn construction and helps carpet retain its original appearance longer, extending the useful life of the carpet. In fact, repeated roll stool tests, simulating heavy commercial traffic, indicate that System TR/18 can add years of performance in the most demanding environments.
COMFORT and PERFORMANCE
System TR/18 provides more comfort underfoot than unitary backings in direct glue down installations. With its superior dimensional stability, System TR/18 virtually eliminates edge raveling and delamination. It also resists moisture penetration. Because the cushion is already attached to the carpet, it is faster and less troublesome to install than double glue down methods, and it outperforms carpet and separate pad in heavy traffic situations.
Advanced polyurethane backing technology, drawing on more than two decades of floor covering research, also gives System TR/18 these additional advantages over other commercial carpet backings:
- Its unique construction is designed to maintain the dimensional integrity of the finished carpet, to resist buckling, curling, stretching or shrinking.
- The fine mesh, synthetic lino-weave scrim backing creates the perfect substrate for releasable flooring applications, making it easier to install and remove. It also shields the cushion from adhesive saturation. By blocking the adhesive from wicking up into the backing, less adhesive is needed for a secure installation-permanent or releasable.
- System TR/18 surpasses other attached backings when it comes to gauge control, a critical factor in seaming. Gauge variations previously associated with attached cushions are virtually eliminated with Textile Rubber & Chemical Company’s patented belt technology. By precisely monitoring the foam application during the manufacturing process, overall tolerances of the composite carpet are set not to exceed plus or minus 15/1000 of an inch, which is almost indistinguishable. This ensures that the gauge of the backing will remain constant from side to side, end to end, and roll to roll.
- As a completely synthetic composite, System TR/18 inhibits deterioration with age. It effectively resists odor-causing mold and mildew, and withstands harsh wet or dry cleaning procedures.
EPIC System is an 18 lb. density, mechanically-frothed polyurethane cushion and scrim composite that is applied to the back of commercial carpets at the manufacturing level. It can be applied over a pH adjusted unitary latex or polyurethane unitary precoat as well as an Actionbac® secondary. It is compatible with carpets in 6’, 12’ and 13’6” widths. (These standard specifications are subject to slight variations within normal manufacturing tolerances.)
Foam weight 28 ozs./sq.yd. Thickness .125 inch Density 18 lbs. or above Compression set at 50% 10% maximum Scrim Wright 4.5 ozs./sq.yd
Typical properties are derived from averages under standard manufacturing conditions and are affected by carpet fiber, weight, construction, humidity and temperature. These properties may vary within normal industry standards. Performance is not affected by such variances.
Compression resistance 7 lbs./sq.in. minimum Tensile 50 lbs./sq.in. or greater Elongation 60% minimum Tear 5 lbs. minimum with no delamination Roll stool 30,000 cycles Radiant panel watts/cm2 .74* Smoke density:
Polyurethane foam weight 30 oz./sq.yd.
*As tested on 1/8 gauge, 32 oz. nylon level loop construction. Results will vary with carpet construction. Test values for gauge, backing weight and density are allowed +/- 10%.
The following instructions are for the installation of EPIC & KangaTRAC, the attached premium polyurethane cushions for all commercial carpet applications. Please read all instructions before starting installation.
Tools, Equipment and Adhesives
- High quality, multi-purpose or releasable adhesives.
- Proper size notched trowel (3/32” recommended).
- Slotted razor carpet knife, cushion back cutter with adjustable blades, and a cushion back wall trimmer (KangaTools brand, if available).
- Metal tape, rigid metal straight edge and chalk line.
- Use newer latex based seam sealers.
- Clean white cloth for seam sealer and adhesive clean up.
- All surfaces must be clean, dry and free of dust, grease or wax. Do not use sweeping compounds.
- Concrete floors must be properly cured and dry. MAKE SURE CONCRETE IS FREE OF EXCESS MOISTURE ON OR BELOW GRADE. Cracks should be filled and smooth.
- Other surfaces such as resilient tile should be checked and patched as needed, making sure they are properly adhered.
Direct Glue Down Installation
- Properly measure the area to be installed, adding two or three inches to the dimensions or enough to cover pattern repeats.
- Dry fit the precut carpet into the room, centering the carpet and allowing the surplus to lap up against the walls evenly. Make sure there is enough carpet to reach to the center of thresholds in doorways.
- Where seams are necessary, they should be made first. Use a chalk line and straight edge to remove factory edges. Row and/or Trace cutting methods are recommended for all seams. Do not double cut seams. Cut each seam edge separately. A KangaTools brand professional carpet cutter is recommended.
- After seams are matched, make sure patterns and nap are aligned, fold carpet back at the seam areas. Do not compress the seam!
- Apply adhesive to floor using a 3/32” notched trowel. Spread adhesive away from the seam line and do not leave scalloped trowel marks at seam area. Follow proper adhesive label instructions relating to open time.
- Begin laying carpet over adhesive, working away from seams toward walls and smoothing out carpet. Repeat process for all areas.
Secure the Seams
In accordance with label instructions and using a plastic applicator bottle, apply a good bead of seam adhesive to one edge of the carpet and cushion – not on top of the carpet pile. Clean off excessive adhesive immediately.
Crease carpet at the wall with a tool at a 90-degree angle. Trim carpet at wall with cushion back wall cutter or knife. A KangaTools brand professional wall trimmer is recommended. Recheck all seams and wall area. Keep traffic away from installations for 24 hours, if possible.
All carpets with the EPIC System attached cushion have a nonwoven scrim on the outside layer that is an integral part of the product. This outer scrim provides extra dimensional stability to the composite package. It helps reduce “chunking” of product at the time of removal if proper installation procedures are followed.
- Adhesive should be spread in a thin and even manner, using a 3/32” notched trowel.
- Allow proper open time for the adhesive before marrying products. Should a releasable installation be desired for accessibility to subfloors, it is especially important that the above steps be followed since most pressure sensitive or releasable adhesives are designed to adhere to less receptive products than EPIC & KangaTRAC.
- See Carpet & Rug Institute Standard # CRI 104 for additional information.